Create a View
Creating a View allows you to display your AWS data in a way that aligns to your needs.
Stax uses Views to display your data in a way that makes sense to you. You might choose to create views based on the AWS account resources reside in, the value of a tag, the resource's type, region, or some combination of these.
Before You Begin
- Estimated time to complete: It will take you around 5-10 minutes to set up a basic View. Keep in mind, though, that it will take around four hours to see the results on the Cost pages.
- You will need to be a Stax Cost & Compliance admin
- You should have a good understanding of your organization's tag and account structure
Create a View
Log in to the Stax Console
Select Views from the left-hand nav
Select Create View from the top right of the page
Next, you'll need to decide how you want your resources to be split. This can be by several dimensions:
- Tag (you'll need to use the drop-down to select the relevant tag)
- AWS Account
- AWS Product
- AWS Region
- Any combination of these
Once you've selected the dimension you'd like to use, you can then change the view name by clicking the pencil
Decide between Quick Mapping and Manual Mapping for your initial setup
- Quick Mapping means we'll create a segment for each of the values we find now and in the future. This makes the view more 'future-proof', especially if you're working on improving your tagging and you expect to be creating new tag values over time. You can manually re-map these if you find there are typos and so forth.
- Manual Mapping means you'll need to create each of the segments you want. Any values that don't have a segment manually assigned to them will show as 'unallocated' on reports. This is useful if you want to assign multiple tag values to a single segment. For example; if environment=prod1 and environment=prod2 both need to be assigned to a segment called 'Production', or if you'd like to group several accounts together into one segment. This view setup is likely to require more ongoing maintenance, especially if you'll be adding new tag values regularly.
After you've created a view, you can also change it between the quick and manual mapping settings to suit your needs.
Click 'Create View' to proceed
Use the drop-down next to each of the segments to re-assign or edit any allocations or segment names
Once you've finished, it can take some time (potentially a few hours, depending on the amount of data to be processed) for the values to be calculated across Stax. You can edit the view any time by clicking on the view name on the Views page.
Click here to watch a video of the view creation process.
You can assign a budget both to your entire organization, and to individual segments of a view. See Budgets.
It's not always possible—or desirable—to split costs out into discrete segments. Using Shared Segments, organizations can distribute the costs attributed to a specific segment across nominated other segments, either as a fixed percentage, or pro-rated against each segment's contribution to the AWS overall consumption.