Set Budgets in Stax
How to set total budgets, or budget by segment, for the year
Setting a budgets in Stax gives greater visibility to you and your team of how you're tracking against budget. With a budget set, you'll get alerts to let you know when it looks like you're going to exceed your budget so you can take action before it's too late.
There are two ways you can set and view your budgets within Stax. You can either set total budget for all your AWS spend or you can set budgets for each segment within a view, i.e. each team, cost centre, etc.
When you look at your Cost page, you'll see the budget displayed differently depending how you've set things up.
Before You Begin
- This should take 5 - 15 minutes depending on how many views and segments you'd like to set budgets for
- You will need to be a Stax Admin
- Because AWS pricing is in USD, all budgets should be in USD
Set Your Overall Organization Budget
- Log in to Stax Cost & Compliance.
- Go to settings > admin settings > general settings
- Add your USD budget
- Double-check the Beginning of Financial year
- The budget will save automatically.
When you set the organization budget, you'll see a black line displayed on the Cost page that shows the relevant budget when you don't have any global filters set.
Set Budgets That Leverage Your Views
- Head to Views
- Select the view you want to add budgets to
- Select 'Monthly Budgets' and you'll end up at the screen below-
- Add the annual budget to the 'Annual Budget' column and we'll automatically divide it by 12 to give you monthly budgets or
- Add or edit your monthly budgets if you have variable budgets month-to-month to allow for busy or quiet periods.
You also have the option to set a budget for Only Usage Costs (recommended) or for All Allocated Costs, not both.
What's the difference?
Usage costs are what you see on the cost page when you haven't turned on financial filters. This is the blue view.
All Allocated Costs budgets will only show up when you switch on financial filters on the cost page.
Once you've got your budgets set up, whether it's the organizational budget or the segment budget, you'll start receiving alerts when it looks like you're going to go over your budget.